Monday, December 18, 2006

A Good line for Karaoke Singers

I can't take credit for this line. That goes to a friend of Dr. Tony, who was a co-worker at one of my numerous various jobs before I became a teacher. This line is a good one for someone who likes to sing, but who others don't like to listen to. Like 95% of the Karaoke singers here in Asia.

After Dr. Tony told it to me, I waited impatiently for the right time to use it.

That came one day at "The Girls House". It is a house for women in need, run by my Church in the Bronx, Joy Fellowship. I was invited to join them for dinner one Sunday after church.















We had a nice time of fellowship. Afterwards, the dishes were being washed, chores and devotions were being done, and I was letting my food digest. Andrea P. , who was in charge of the house, put some nice uptempo gospel music on the stereo. Unfortunately, she decided to sing along, with a sort of spirit-filled bellow.

This was what I had been waiting for.

Even though I already knew the answer, I innocently asked, "Andrea, who sings this song?"

"Helen Baylor. Do you like it?"

"Yeah, it's a nice song. Do you know why Helen Baylor sings this song?"

Her response was instantaneous.

"TO PRAISE GOD!!!"

"Nope."

She looked at me wide eyed, like she'd been shot.

"HUH? NO?!"

I nodded my head.

Then she said confidently, "Well then- she sings it to Worship Jesus!"

"Nope."

"Of course she does! . . . You don't think she sings this song to praise God or worship Jesus?"

"Nope."

"Oh wait, let me see- Oh, ok, it's probably something cynical- is it for money?"

"Nope."

She started getting more and more indignant, with every answer that I replied in the negative to.

"Oh, it's got to be some sort of man thing. Some sort of male chauvanist pig thing. Is it because she's a woman?"

"Nope."

"Is it because she doesn't know any better?"

"Nope."

This went on a few more times, until finally, she'd had enough. With fire practically flying from her eyes, and her teeth bared, she looked as if she was going to strangle me if I said "Nope" one more time.

"Ok Smarty, tell me- why does Helen Baylor sing this song?"

"So you don't have to!!!"

I ran out of the house as fast as I could, and with good reason.