Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My Uncyclopedia Article


Ok, the past few days I haven't been putting the usual amount of work into this Blog that I normally do. It's exam time, and I don't have as much work to do. Right now I justthave to babysit students during their exams. So I should be able to put even more work into my postings here, right?

Well, not quite. See, I found this other site, Uncyclopedia. It is a parody of Wikipedia. It has all sort of articles written as wikis, that you can read, and go ahead and edit if you want to. It is the answer to the collaborative writing project I was trying to start in this blog awhile ago. The number of people who participated in that project?

One.
Me.

While I would have liked people all around the world to have taken part in it, it looks like it's not going to happen. It has gone into terminal hibernation, and who knows if it will ever be revived?

From now on I think I will look to sites like Uncyclopedia and Wikipedia to get my collaborative writing fix. If anyone knows of any other sites that are worthwhile, please let me know.

Meanwhile, It's a lot of fun to surf through the Uncyclopedia and read the articles. Some are really good, and make me laugh out loud. One that I was reading today, and thought was pretty hilarious, was this one. The title alone is enough to give you a good laugh. Others aren't so good, and are more stupid or insulting than funny. The one I thought was in particularly poor taste is the one on my home state, New Jersey. It's in such poor taste, and so badly written, that I am not even going to link to it. If you want to read it, you'll have to find it yourself. That's what you get with wikis. Sometimes you get brilliance, and other times you get utter crap. Most of the stuff is somewhere in between, in your typical bellcurve pattern.

I am currently writing an article for the Uncyclopedia. Hopefully, it will fall more towards the brilliant side of the curve, than the total crap side. When I am finished with it, I will link to it, and you can read it, comment on it, improve it if you think it's crap, and hopefully get a good laugh out of the whole process. I am going to show a copy of what I have to my chief editor, my wife, and see what she says. After I get her feedback, I should have my article finished in a day or two.

Until then,
CHEERS!

John