Thursday, April 26, 2007

Asian English



Living in Asia, I come across some unusual uses of the English language. Here is one I found when we were at the English drama competition up in Kangar, Perlis.

Mr. Wong, Mr. Annuar, and I went into town to buy some snacks for the students. I picked out a container of cookies in a nice plastic container, that my wife could use after the students had emptied it.

It wasn't until after I took it out of the plastic wrapping that I saw what it said on the top of the container:

Munchy's (Which is the name of the company that makes the cookies)

bite me

Now to an American, if you tell someone to "bite you", you better be ready to fight them!
Either there are some really disgruntled employees at Munchy's, or these are the most ill-tempered cookies I've ever seen.

If you want to see more examples of English abuse in Asia, particularly in Japan, then go to engrish.com for more howlers.