Sunday, July 22, 2007

Taiping Rain


It is raining out, as it only can in the tropics. I have very rarely seen the equal to it anywhere else in the world. When it rains here, it often comes down with the ferocity of penned up hungry wild animal finally set free.

It has been like this for a while. I would like to go home, but I don't have an umbrella, the streets are flooded, and Trien and I are both wearing sandals. It might seem romantic to walk home holding hands and dancing together at night in a warm tropical rain, but it's not a good idea when your loved one is 8 1/2 months pregnant.

I do like to watch the rain. It is peaceful and cleansing, not just in the local environment, but in my Soul. There is something relaxing about a steady downpour, like being on the beach listening to the waves. There is music in the rain here- the sound it makes when it is hitting the asphalt, the sound it makes when it hits through the trees, the sound it makes on a tin roof, the way it sounds when it is approaching. When it pours like it does here, there is something awesome about it.

The only thing better than a good rain is a good thunderstorm.

But I want to go home now. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.